Monday, November 7, 2011

Amazing Cookies: Grace's Quilt

So many times every day I think of things I want to write about and post on this blog. And not until today have I sat down to do so. Right now there is laundry to be folded and a dishwasher to empty, a diaper genie to clean, and thank-you notes to write, but there is a very important story I need to tell, instead.

For almost six years I dealt with a horrendous pain disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia. I have now been pain free for almost three years and I am thankful for every single one of those days. If I were not pain-free I do not know where I would be right now. I most certainly would not have my incredible daughter. I am more thankful than I can say.

I have tried to stay involved with the online support groups that I joined. I know how important it is to read positive outcomes and even just escape pain for a bit by reading about something happy, so I've tried to continue to chart my success story and write about my pregnancy and about Grace, so my online friends and I could share in the happiness.

About two months ago I got a package in the mail, from an address I did not recognize. Inside was a gift for Grace...a quilt, all different shades of green, with 12 diamonds with different animals in the center of each. It is so intricate and so, so beautiful.

This quilt was made for Grace by a woman named Ann, whom I have actually never met. Ann joined one of the online TN communities and found my blog. After reading my experience with TN and the surgery I had to correct it, she decided to have the same surgery. Now she is pain-free, as well, and has been feeling great for almost a year.

Ann included a square on the back of the quilt that says: "For Grace - May you have many angels in your life...your mommie is one of mine."

I can not express what this gift means to me. I hope to someday be able to explain to Grace what an important and special gift Ann has given to both of us. And I hope that Ann's gift inspires Grace to be someone else's angel someday.

But for now I just wanted to try to write down the story of Grace's Quilt, for inspiration, for motivation, as a simple reminder of the huge differences we can make in each others lives.





4 comments:

  1. Dear Kate,
    How sweet to read this...and so special to see gorgeous Grace with her quilt. I hope she will enjoy learning the names of all the animals on it. It was certainly a joy making it for her.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3
    I couldn't be any happier for you and for Ann. I love that you share this special bond and I know you both will continue to help others through the years! I can't even imagine how wonderful that must feel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how moving is this experiance

    ReplyDelete